Two Weeks

Tuesday, February 6, 2007



Lily turned two weeks yesterday. She went to the doctor for her birthday and she is doing very well. Her doctor said that her color looks great and she is now 22 1/4 inches and 7 pound 14 ounces (compared to 7 pounds 4 ounces at he first appointment). That means that in two weeks she has grown 1 3/4 inches and 10 ounces! That might not sound like much but I did some calculations and if I were to experience the same relative growth over the last 2 weeks, I would have gone from 5'10" to 6'8" and from 175 pounds to 189 pounds. So, she is growing fast and doing great.

It is hard to believe that it has only been two weeks since Lily was born. It feels like she has been here for so much longer, and even though she has cut into our sleep time a bit, I don't mean that in a bad way. We have loved having her home and having her become the center of our attention. Here are just a few things we have learned about our little girl in the short time we have had her:

  • She was born with an innate ability to wait to complete going to the bathroom until the exact moment you begin to move her old diaper from under her and the new one in it's place. This isn't just a once or twice thing. She has done this on 95% of the changings. Last week, we tried to fake her out by opening her old diaper but keeping it there until the exact moment we were ready to slide the new diaper under her. She is clever and saw through out deception and, right as I went to slide out the old diaper, she pooped on my hand.
  • Not only did I not mind having my hand pooped on, but I actually found it endearing. Ash and I have also found these things endearing: being peed on, being thrown up on, being spit up on, being woken up in the night, and being yelled at even after we have fed her, burped her, changed her and swaddled her.
  • She sleeps for long periods during the day...sometimes as long as 5 hours...without waking up once, but she has never once made it more than 2 1/2 hours without waking up at night.
  • She hates the part of baths where she is getting her body soaped up and washed, but she absolutely loves the part where she is having her head scrubbed and her hair put under the faucet.
  • She loves having her hair brushed...it calms her right downs after a bath.
  • She's still not sure about the binkie but if you tickle the roof of her mouth with it, she closes her mouth and start sucking away.
  • She hates the car seat.
  • She farts as loud as her parents and has, as a result, been blamed for every fart over the last two weeks.
  • She is starting to be more aware of the things around her and is making eye contact. The other day I had her sitting in front of me after a bath all wrapped up in her blanket but she was still shivering and had this look on her face like "what the crap just happened to me?" I held her up against my chest and she looked up at me and stared into my eyes for the next ten minutes. Every time I would put my face close to hers, she would stick her tongue out and try to touch my face with it. She warmed up and it about melted me.
All in all, we are so dang happy to have Lily in our lives. We have loved getting to know her and watching her get to know us and the world around her. Thanks to everyone for all of the help you have given us.

Here are a few pictures from her first two weeks at home.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

In that one picture in her car seat where she's just stopped crying she looks a little like Whoopie Goldberg.