1 Month- The Blowout

Monday, February 26, 2007


I love to fish but one of my least favorite parts of fishing is cleaning the fish at the end of the day. I’m always doing everything possible to keep from actually touching the innards of the fish. I’ll still my knife in and wiggle it around hoping it will magically sever anything still attached and the innards will happily slide out without ever coming into contact with my hands. It never works and eventually I always end up having to stick my hands into the mess.

Although we have had incidences where the poop didn’t all stay in the diaper during the first 5 weeks, we had our first official full-on blowout yesterday. Unlike previous blowouts where a small amount of poop found its way out the diaper leg holes or into the small of her back, with this blowout, the poop extended the full length of Lily’s back, into the creases of her neck, and on up into her hair.

It’s a strange analogy, but I actually thought of fish cleaning as I stood looking down at Lily’s blowout. At first, I was doing everything possible to keep my hands from actually coming into contact with the poop…I had a handful of wipes and I was dabbing at the poop covering her back, hoping it would magically soak it all up. Instead of soaking it up, I was more like an artist spreading the thick paint over the canvas of her back…there was just far too much poop to be soaked up through traditional methods.

Eventually I resigned myself to the fact that my hands would have to touch poop and once I had accepted that fact, I let go of the inhibitions and dove in. I dragged my index finger like a squeegee along her back, moving the poop into a contained area and then, once pooled, I lifted it off and wiped it into the diaper. I then wrapped my hands around her poopy legs and back and carried her into the kitchen and set her in the sink. You’ll see in the photos how Lily immediately gripped the sink divider and held on for dear life as we spend the next ten minutes scrubbing her down. The look on her face is priceless and has to be my favorite picture we have of her so far.

In the end, once again, the whole experience was strangely endearing…much more than pulling the guts out of a dead fish.



4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'd have to say that she looks like you Scott, only much cuter! She is beautiful. Do you think she'll have blonde hair?! Grandma and Grandpa looks so in love while you and Ashley look a bit tired. Keep up the good work! Love the blog too. You'll have to show me a thing or two or more...

Scott Brown said...

Thanks for the comments Kim and Kris...it's nice to know that I'm not talking to myself here.

Anonymous said...

Jordan and I love reading Lily's Blog! It is so funny! We've shown a few friends and they have also started one! Now...I'm with Kimberly in that you'll have to show us a thing or two because we just started our blog and gosh---you make ours look....as though we don't even know who to turn on a computer! Sad we didn't know about the baby blessing or else we would have come! She looks BEAUTIFUL! :)

Jodi & Jordan McDonald

Scott Brown said...

Jodi-

I'm sorry that I didn't let you know about the blessing...I just don't have your current contact info. Let me know your email and phone. We'll have to get together sometime.